Tuesday, April 05, 2005

Deceptive Advertising

I was not surprised when I saw that the speaker list for the Confronting the Judicial War on Faith Conference included Senator Brownback. This seems like an event where he would feel at home. While looking at the website, I noticed that Brownback was not listed on the schedule of events. Intrigued, I e-mailed the media contact asking for clarification.

I received an e-mail that said Brownback was not actually speaking at the event, nor attending it. The e-mail said that Brownback's office led them on for weeks and then turned them down at the last minute.

Ever the intrepid net-journalist I called Brownback's DC office for clarification. Had Brownback backed out of the event at the last moment? I spoke to Brownback's scheduler who said Brownback turned the conference down weeks ago. She said that the conference advertised using Brownback's name even before initially asking if he would attend. She further informed me that he would be in session and immediately following he would be flying back to Kansas.

So while I was salivating at the thought of ripping into Brownback for attending this conference, unfortunately it is not meant to be. Is this another sign of the GOP backing away from Crazy Delay and his Judiciary-lynching posse? Delay is the keynote speaker at the conference. Do note that Senate Majority Leader Bill Frist today moderated his voice on the judiciary:
"I believe we have a fair and independent judiciary today," said Frist, now trying to resolve a battle with Democrats over judicial nominations that threatens to tie his chamber into knots. "I respect that."
Perhaps the wide-eyed and drooling maniacal face of Delay is starting to worry GOP leaders. For my part, I hope they line up behind Delay like kindergartners on the way to a bathroom break.

UPDATE 10:47pm CST

Courtesy of AmericaBlog comes news that Delay has pulled out of the conference. He is attending the Papal Funeral instead. Apparently during the same update of the site they took off Brownback's name as well. On AmericaBlog's cached copy Brownback's name is clearly visible but a check of the current site shows it has been scrubbed.

While Delay has the Papal funeral as an excuse, Brownback was apparently snubbed by Frist and not invited to come with the US delegation. Interesting considering Brownback is about as Catholic as a lay-person can get. His ties to Opus Dei are well publicized.

3 Comments:

Blogger Floyd said...

Nice blog. I'm a Wichita Jayhawk as well, and am ashamed of having Brownback represent us for the rest of the country. Keep on plugging, and I'll be checking in regularly. Also, I'll give you a link on my site so that all 5 of my readers can find you as well. Keep preaching.

Floyd

9:05 PM  
Blogger Holley said...

Yeah, that conference seems custom-made for Brownback. Glad he's not my senator, but my representative (Todd Akin, R-MO, 2nd) is just as insane and will be there. Today I sent him an email voicing my disapproval. Like it matters.

7:12 PM  
Blogger Mike Doughney said...

The weird thing is that about halfway through the Thursday afternoon conference session, one of the conference organizers says that Brownback was about to speak. They then took about thirty minutes of questions and went to break; Brownback never showed.

9:35 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home